We all know that firing up a grill is a great way to cook dinner this Fourth of July. However, how about the sauce that goes on the meat? This barbecue sauce will make your mouth water!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic croves, minced garlic (can use more)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (do not use the fine black pepper!)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or adjust to taste)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup prepared french's yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke (for the very best flavor do not omit)
- Heat oil over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 3 minutes, then add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in chili powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- Add in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 1 hour over low heat (do not cover the pot or the texture and flavor will be affected, if you have a splatter screen then use it to cover the pot).
- Cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or more before using.
That's it! All that is left to do is enjoy!